Custom-Made Shells of Tooth
Dental veneers are wafer-thin, custom-made shells of tooth-colored materials designed to cover the front surface of teeth to improve the tooth’s appearance. These shells are bonded to the front of the teeth, changing their color, shape, size, and length.
Dental veneers can be made from porcelain or from resin composite materials. Porcelain veneers resist stains better than resin veneers and better mimic the light reflecting properties of natural teeth.
The procedure usually takes two to three visits. One visit for a consultation, the following visit for preparation of the teeth, and the final visit for cementation.
Madison Family Dental Believes There are Several Advantages to Dental Veneers
- They provide a natural tooth appearance.
- Gum tissue tolerates the porcelain well.
- Porcelain veneers are stain resistant.
- The color of a porcelain veneer can be selected to make dark teeth appear whiter.
- Veneers offer a conservative approach to changing a tooth’s color and shape.
A Few Disadvantages to Dental Veneers
- The veneer’s color cannot be altered once in place. If you plan on whitening your teeth, we recommend you do so before veneers.
- Though not likely, veneers can dislodge and fall off. To minimize the chance of this occurring, do not bite or chew your nails, pencils, ice, or other hard objects.
- Veneers are not a good choice for individuals with unhealthy teeth (e.g. those with decay or active gum disease).
- Individuals who clench and grind their teeth are poor candidates for porcelain veneers, as these activities can cause the veneers to crack or chip.
Commonly Asked Questions About Dental Veneers
How long do dental veneers last?
Are there alternatives to dental veneers?
How much do veneers cost?
A Madison Dentist Committed to Your Care
Post-operative Care Following Dental Veneers
Below are post-operative instructions from the dentists at Madison Family Dental. If you have any additional questions about your procedure, or if you are experiencing abnormal bleeding, swelling, severe pain, or any reaction to medications, please do not hesitate to contact us.
- Following the preparation for cosmetic veneers, it will take two to three weeks for the dentist to receive the veneers back from the lab.
- Occasionally, temporary dental veneers can be placed until the permanent veneers are back.
- Dental veneers do not require any special care once placed.
- Continue to follow good oral hygiene practices, including brushing and flossing.