To protect your mouth
Custom-made mouthguards and dental appliances are not only more comfortable but also superior in protection and function than over-the-counter products you fit yourself at home.
We offer a number of mouthguards and dental appliances, which require two appointments with your Madison dentist. During the initial appointment, impressions are taken of your teeth. These are then used to fabricate your custom mouthguard or appliance, which is usually available in one to two weeks at a follow-up appointment.
Athletic Mouthguards from your Madison, WI dentist
If you or a family member is involved in sports, we can make a custom-fit athletic mouthguard. Athletic mouthguards should be worn for any sporting activity.
Custom-fit, Under Armour Mouthguard is offered at Madison Family Dental
Madison Family Dental is pleased to partner with Under Armour to provide athletes with the New UnderArmour performance mouthwear.
Powered by ArmourBite™, Bite Tech’s patented technology, Under Armour Performance Mouthwear is an innovative new line of custom mouthpieces and mouthguards designed to improve athletic performance. UA Performance Mouthwear can help any athlete improve strength, endurance and reaction time, reduce athletic stress and, with the mouthguard, reduce impact from blows to the jaw.
When athletes exert themselves, clenching the jaw is a natural reaction. Teeth-clenching, however, triggers the excess production and release of hormones, such as cortisol, that produce stress, fatigue and distraction, hindering an athlete’s performance. ArmourBite Technology in UA Performance Mouthwear prevents an athlete’s teeth from clenching, pivoting your jaw forward to relieve pressure on the temporomandibular joint (TMJ) and preventing the excessive production of performance-sapping hormones. This allows the body to unleash its full potential.
Hundreds of professional, Olympic and collegiate athletes have been using Bite Tech’s performance mouthwear products for years. Bite Tech has conducted years of independent studies at some of the nation’s top universities and research centers, including The Citadel and IMG Academies, which have proven the science behind the ArmourBite™ Technology found in UA Performance Mouthwear. Learn more at bitetech.com.
Common Questions Answered About Under Armour Mouthguards
How does Under Armour Performance Mouthwear differ from mouthguards?
How do I choose the right Under Armour product?
How long does it take to get a custom piece of Under Armour Performance Mouthwear?
What can Under Armour Performance Mouthwear do?
- Increases Strength – with improved airﬂow and less stress from clenching, UA Performance Mouthwear has been proven to increase strength by an average of 17% with the UA Performance Mouthpiece and 12% with the UA Performance Mouthguard.
- Increases Endurance – UA Performance Mouthwear enlarges airway openings, resulting in 25% less lactic acid build-up after 30 minutes of intense exercise.
- Speeds Up Reaction Time – Athletes may respond faster when wearing UA Performance Mouthwear. Clinical trials show an improvement in responding to auditory cues and potential improvement in response to visual cues.
- Reduces Athletic Stress – Excess cortisol causes stress, fatigue and distraction. UA Performance Mouthwear decreases cortisol production, which means you feel and play better.
- Reduces Impact – When the jaw suffers an impact, energy can be transmitted to the head, which can cause concussion. UA Performance Mouthguards have been shown to reduce the G-Force impact of blows to the jaw by up to 20%.
How should I care for a mouthguard?
How best to take care and store my mouthguard?
Is heat bad for mouthguards?
Madison Family Dental’s Dental Appliance Treatment Options
The NTI is a small appliance worn on either the top or bottom front teeth that prevents teeth clenching, grinding, jaw pain and headaches. You and your dentist should decide together if an NTI would be best for you.
Silent Nite Snore Guard
The Silent Nite prevents snoring by opening the airway to make breathing easier. It works by moving the lower jaw into a more forward position. The Silent Nite is custom made from casts of your teeth and will therefore fit better than an over-the-counter anti-snoring device. If snoring is keeping you or a loved one up at night, this type of appliance may be beneficial.
Sleep Apnea TAP Appliance
Sleep apnea oral appliances are custom-fitted by your Madison Family dentist to help patients sleep soundly by minimizing effects of sleep apnea like snoring. These FDA-approved devices treat sleep apnea by preventing airway obstruction and allowing the patient to breathe easily and continuously.
One example of an oral appliance is the TAP. The TAP holds the lower jaw in a forward position so that is does not shift nor fall open during the night, which prevents the airway from collapsing. Studies have shown the oral appliance is an effective first-line therapy for mild to moderate sleep apnea.