A safe and effective treatment
We are now pleased to be offering the soft tissue diode laser as a safe and effective treatment for a wide range of dental procedures. The laser can be used to replace many surgical soft tissue procedures, or it can be used in conjunction with other dental instruments and procedures to enhance and improve them.
What is a laser?
A laser is an instrument that works by delivering energy in the form of an intense beam of light.
When the laser beam comes in contact with soft tissue, it causes a reaction. When used for surgical procedures, the laser acts as a cutting instrument to remove and reshape tissue. Lasers have been available for use in dentistry for almost 20 years, but the laser units were cost prohibitive and too cumbersome until recently. We are pleased to now be able to bring this valuable technology to our patients.
What can the soft tissue laser be used for?
- To reduce the discomfort of canker and cold sores
- To remove muscle attachments that limit the proper movement of the tongue and lips
- To remove overgrown tissue
- To manage the gum tissue during impressions for dental crowns and other procedures
- To reshape the gum tissue
- To remove inflamed gum tissue and aid in the treatment of gum disease
- To perform tissue biopsies
What are the benefits of laser dentistry?
- Some procedures can be done with little or no anesthetic
- Bleeding is minimized because the high energy light beam aids in clotting of the blood
- There is usually little to no swelling
- Bacterial infections are minimized because the high energy beam essentially sterilizes the area being worked on
- The laser is very precise, so damage to surrounding tissue is insignificant
- Wounds heal faster
- There is usually very little, if any, postoperative discomfort
I am an anxious dental patient. Do you recommend the laser for me?
Yes! Because the laser is safe and precise, pain and recovery time are minimal and you should find the incorporation of the laser to be of great benefit.
Is the laser noisy?
Lasers do not make any annoying noises. All that you may experience is the sound of a rush of air, since our suction is utilized with the laser to keep the area cool.
How long does laser treatment take?
In general, laser treatment does not take a long time. Depending on your treatment needs, the dentist may use the laser for as long as several minutes or as little as a few brief moments. There is still a benefit from the advantages of laser therapy even in procedures where the laser is only utilized for a short time.
Are lasers safe?
Yes. Anyone utilizing the laser has undergone special training in order to provide treatment. Lasers do require eye protection, and safety glasses will be worn by everyone in the treatment room while the laser is being used. Patients will be provided with these glasses.
Who can use lasers?
Dentists and hygienists who have completed approved laser training may provide laser therapy.